CSA stopped my money because I get Working Tax Credits

May 23, 2010

My child is 13 yrs old. The csa had problems keeping up with her father, he ended up with thousands in arrears, then they caught him and did an attatchment of earnings. He was stupid to himself and never came forward with any information to them, which caused high payments for him, now things had settled he was paying a decent amount per week and also paying off towards his arrears.

Then i got a phone call and letter from the csa during the week saying i will no longer receive any csa payments because i am on a benefit…working tax credits being precise. I do not understand why they have all of a sudden started this but all i keep being told is that government changed the rules in april, there was supposed to be a leaflet in with the letter which suprised there isn’t and i can’t find it on their website either!!!

Has anyone else been informed of this.


5 Responses to “CSA stopped my money because I get Working Tax Credits”

  1. Brokenfather on May 23rd, 2010 2:36 pm

    As far as I am aware WTC is not classed as a ‘benefit’, only Income Support and income based JSA is.

  2. shelly on May 24th, 2010 12:15 am

    thank you for the reply brokenfather since my last post i had rang them again,and now they are saying that because my son (whom has a different father)is leaving further education i will not be entitled to maintenance for my daughter well i didnt think that my son should have been involved in this case so have no idea what sort of rules they do apply when making assessments.

  3. Brokenfather on May 24th, 2010 11:45 am

    I dont think thats correct either!

  4. JB on June 7th, 2012 11:06 pm

    Neither of those things are correct!
    1) Your tax credits have no bearing WHATSOEVER in whether you should receive maintenance.
    2) You won’t be entitled to maintenance for your son once he leaves education (as child benefit will not be in payment) but this doesn’t affect maintenance for other children in the case.

    I think you should ask to speak to a supervisor to clarify all this as it’s not correct at all.

  5. chall on June 8th, 2012 8:28 am


    Your daughter, if she meets the criteria, should still be classed as a qualifying child.

    Is her father employed or claiming benefits?

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

Got something to say?