Should I use the CSA?

November 8, 2011

I have recently separated from my little boys mother,and have had to move out of our family home into a friends spare room.

Things between my ex and i are a little raw at the moment and we tend to argue a lot although i seem to be more upset over the split than she. She says she would rather keep payments between us but im not sure whether i should contact csa to sort the payments as i am a little worried that in the future she may say i have not been paying anything for my boy when obviously i will.I have also lost my job a while ago so am in receipt of jsa benefit which is £120.00 per fortnight os am unsure of how much i should be paying.

I want to give my little boy as much as possible but at the same time i need to buy food,travel to work interviews, if anyone could give me a little advice on what my next step should be i would appreciate it.


5 Responses to “Should I use the CSA?”

  1. leanne jones on November 8th, 2011 12:21 pm

    They won’t take much a fiver a week

  2. Karl Garrett on November 8th, 2011 6:36 pm

    DO NOT USE THE CSA, if you do, you will both be fecked……. take it from one that knows…

    but make sure all payments between you are signed for & recorded. ( cover your arse)

  3. KMcQ80 on November 9th, 2011 8:24 am

    It’s not up to the NRP (you).
    It’s up to the PWC (mother).
    My opinion is to seek legal advice as to how much you are required to legally pay and pay by cheque NOT CASH.
    Do not pay a penny more or less.
    Pay by cheque and keep a copy in date order.
    If you want buy extras for your son, remember this will count for nothing if and when the mother contacts the CSA which is probably inevitable.

    When the CSA does contact you.
    Do not deal with them on the phone at all (become ex-directory), only by post.
    Keep a copy of all letters you send and receive in date order.

    Don’t let the CSA come between you and your son.
    Be lucky!

  4. Mick on November 9th, 2011 1:56 pm

    I agree with all the advice you have been given above. Heed it! If you can come to an amicable agreement which can be legally recognised these days, there is no need whatsoever for the CSA to become involved. While in receipt of job seekers allowance the most the CSA could take from you in any case would be £5 per week. That is the absolute minimum maintenance that anyone would pay. Once you are working again the CSA would expect no less than 15% of what ever your nett income after stoppages would be in any given pay period. That is the legal maintenance currently for any none resident parent with 1 child to pay for. Once a parent with care opens a case with the CSA, it is only they that can close it again.

    If your ex is willing to keep it between the 2 of you. Seize the opportunity, but as you have been advised by others here. What ever you pay to your ex, ensure there is a legally recognisable paper trail just in case she ever decides to try to change her mind or get greedy like my ex did.

    There is 1 thing however that the CSA can NOT do. They can NOT legally try to screw you for arrears if they did become involved any sooner than the first date that they get in contact with you. So should you get a letter from them at some point in the future. Stop any further payments to the parent with care immediately and put that money to 1 side plus a little extra ( just in case ) and dont touch it! So if the CSA decide to sit on their hands for 6 months ( or in my case 15 months ) before they start a payment schedule for you. Any arrears that might have accrued in that time from 1st contact to the date of your first scheduled payment, you will have safely tucked away to pay off to them immediately. You will only then be left with what you actually owe each week, and not with what you owe plus arrears to come out of your money each week. As long as you are fair to your ex and your son finanacially. And i do mean FAIR! There is no need for you ever to have dealings with the CSA.

    Good luck!

  5. leanne jones on November 11th, 2011 3:09 pm

    There is child maintenance options try to do it that way as will be easier

Got something to say?