My daughter works and lives with her boyfriend, so why do I pay CSA?

February 5, 2013

My complaint is about the way the child agency are treating me in the matter of finances. Just a brief description of my unfortunate position so far. I will try and make this brief I would need a lot more time to tell you all the stress and depression I have encountered, I will try to make this to the point. Firstly the CSA are not concerned about the welfare of my children or the father in question which is me, my children have been through quite enough stress created by their mother, abducted from their home country when small, social services involved in America where Mrs Harvey took them without my knowledge, leaving them unattended and locked in a house so she could drink and party.

My daughter rushed into hospital at about 3 years old through taking drugs from their mum’s handbag, illegal drugs, I was informed 18 months later.

The children returned after about 2 years staying in America, they asked to stay with me as they had witnessed many horrible actions, like her new husband aiming a crossbow at her face. I am not aware of all the horrible things my children encountered while living in America but am aware there are many. She proudly lets my son show pictures of her and my son on facebook with her male friend and a table full of drugs. After my children cam back from America she left and returned to America without a goodbye to the children, 4 phone calls a year if lucky and a offer to buy the children some clothes if needed, this never transpired. you may be asking do we need to know all these details, no you may not be concerned, but this and many other issues with their mother in concern for the children’s welfare have not been addressed in this letter.

So to the point of this letter that I would appreciate some assistance before I no longer feel like my life has a meaning. Please in this occasion have open eyes to my plea, yes there are a lot of fathers that have not cared or supported their children, and I am not one of them fathers.

firstly Mrs Harvey returned back from America about a year and a half ago, not having any interest in her children, I was happy having my children with me, working and doing everything to make my children’s life happy, a stable home, Mrs Harvey returned encouraging my 15 year old daughter to live with her , and I know this was financial reasons, my daughter soon went to live with her, for no other reason than my beliefs at this time was, preventing my daughter going out of a night to night clubs with alcohol etc, I cared for my daughter and did not want her getting hurt, my daughter at this time was going through them teen years and was being encouraged by her mum that she would have a lot more freedom to come and go as she pleased, I might be a little old fashion but your daughter at 15 turning up at 12 o’clock at night drunk isn’t my idea when still studying for her exams, so the CSA have been contacted by Mrs N Harvey, why am I not surprised, yes I know my daughter still needs to be fed and clothed as I had happily been doing this for years without the help of their mother.

My issue with the CSA is that Mrs Harvey put in a claim for child support for payment from me while my daughter attends collage, Mrs Harvey also asked the CSA to open a case from years ago that had been closed before she left for America, they have come up with a figure of £10000, I can not contest this amount because it was many years ago but I have told the CSA that I was paying them at this time and also having my children 3 times a week and buying their clothes including school clothes amongst all their other needs. so they have added this amount onto future payments, I have explained to the CSA that I had my children for years without any financial support from their mother, CSA, or the government, their reply was well you should have put in a claim, I said but she has moved to America, Well you should have put in a claim anyway.

So is this practice to tell me on the phone that the previous case has been closed and reopen it on Mrs Harvey’s say so.

Also in April 2012 I started with a new company, I sent the CSA my new salary and company but did not here a reply until October 2012, they said because I did not continue paying them from April 2012 they are going to add it onto future payments, I sent them the new employment letter but they did not reply, I spoke to them on the phone about this issue and they replied, well you should have phoned us up and made a payment direct to us, I explained to them that I was aware that my daughter was working maybe not full time but assumed payments had ceased, well hoped, but also explained that at the time in April I was overdrawn by at least £500 in my bank account and could not afford to make any payments regardless, being overdrawn was brought about by paying £100 a week to the CSA, I explained I could not afford this amount without going into debt every week, their reply was, well if you don’t pay it we will sent bailiffs round and take your belongings.

This is the list of, is it OK for the CSA to respond in this manner?

CSA letter, after the relevant amount for child maintenance has been taken, the amount of money left for you must not be less than £1.177.68 monthly, my wage slip I received left me with £1,142.43, which is less than they believe I need to live on.

Reopening a case that was closed.

1st month payment of £829.72 then 11 months of £780.20

Phone call to CSA saying I can not cope, I feel suicidal, response being “is that a threat”.

Explaining I sent them a letter straight away informing them change of circumstances and salary, not getting a response till October from April, this being my fault.

Telling me we are sorry even if you can not afford your bills, if you do not pay requested amount we will send bailiffs around and take your belongings.

I have no proof that my daughter is actually attending collage, I know she is working as I see my son regularly, my son and their mother told me that my daughter Tabitha Seyforth mainly lives at her boyfriends flat.
So conclusion.

  • No proof my daughter is attending college.
  • My daughter mainly lives at her boyfriends flat.
  • My daughter is working.

so I am actually paying for my X wife’s luxuries, so she can be comfortable, my son told me that Mrs Harvey has the top TV package, bought a dog, smokes etc, all of which I can not afford, I have cancelled insurances, life, payment protection for work etc so I can afford to eat, tell me this is right, because I am having trouble understanding this.

I do feel suicidal, I have acquired irritable bowel syndrome, I am not sleeping at night which affects my work, I feel like crying, depressed, I just can not cope with this situation and the CSA’s beliefs and non interest in your personal situation (” I feel suicidal” “is that a threat” ” no its the reality” Thanks for caring), I work hard with no benefits apart from existing, my partner is now on anti depressants because of our situation, struggling to pay bills, I can not go on like this, this is killing me, I will tell you why, a mother that has never had any interest unless financial, the mother turning my daughter against me, who I love, My x wife having more comforts than me while I struggle to stay focused. Things around me are crumbling.

For years I have given my children my love and even immaterial things, taken them swimming, taken them out, taken them abroad, just trying to make them happy, so this is the repayment I get, the CSA with no interest in the neglect of my children by their mother, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY Mr Seyforth for being such a bad parent, that’s just it I have not. My son comes round and tells me how he now at 20 realises what a bad influence his mum and Nan has been on him.

My plea needs to be addressed because I can not go on like this; this is not a threat just the way I feel sorry, especially as I do know that my daughter lives mainly at her boyfriends, which makes this just not right.


  • Robbing Hood says:

    Change your name and move mate its the only way – legalised extortion, remember there are a lot of people even involved with this website making an absolute fortune out of your misery – wake up and smell the coffee, give your children your new mobile number, then do one – pay as you go of course and tell them (the CSA) where to shove it – or go to prison for an HM service free holiday then what will she get, you will feel a whole lot better and it will releive the stress for a little while at least, dont forget to send your story to a magazine or newspaper or a TV research company like this morning, and tell your story on facebook and share this website to expose these people for what they are, this is a taxpayers service to be held accountable, dont forget the people at the top at are the government and we know what happened with the expenses scandal, contact the Ombudsman and get this BS out there and thats every1 on here – why suffer like that for what !!!

  • carol says:

    Dear God, OP….what can I say? The CSA and your ex have caused so much between themselves. Its simply evil. All of it.

    You are working to pay these bastards nearly a grand a month, for a daughter who is working and who has been living in america for years. I am disgusted. I see how you cant back date a claim for all the time you had her, like your ex can.

    If you changed name they would hound you by your NI number. Is working like this and going through this worth it? No child costs nearly a grand a month….pure legal extortion as mentioned above. Go self employed or go on the sick or on JSA, or yes if you are prepared to, go do some time to pay them off. It really annoys me to hear that monies go straight to PWC back pocket on non essentials for THEMSELVES.

    And the SS are another evil corrupt government agency.

  • Craig says:

    If your daughter is working and not living with the PWC then you should not be paying. Bubble your ex for benefit fraud and report her to the CSA for doing this, they will say that is not their job but you have made them aware at least and BTW they do report it.

    Further to that if the case was closed down all of those years ago then they can only claim from the date of when the case was reopened. Unless there are arrears from back then then they will take extortionate amounts until the arrears are settled.

    I would suggest that you get the social services involved and every other agency first thing you must do is make a complaint and appeal get your MP involved, and order your data prints. Here is a step by step guide something I put together based upon my own experience

  • j says:

    Do you have a copy of your data prints, have you made a complaint?

    Here is some general advice which may help a little –

    ‘This isnt the csa its an open forum so don’t give names/details etc especially of children. (your own name can be used to identify the kids, and your case)

    Don’t deal with the csa by phone, everything in writing, sent recorded, keep the receipts.

    Copy your MP into everything and try and get them involved as your advocate.
    Make a formal complaint about any decision you are unhappy with from the outset as time limits are involved. Always go for an appeal tribunal asap following the internal process.

    Get a copy of your Data Protection prints from the outset so you know what you are dealing with, again follow the correct procedure in wording your request to get ALL information, send it to the right department, send the correct fee.

    Don’t be afraid to complain about any csa staff, or their superiors if you feel you have just cause.

    Remember the process, internal complaint, ‘independent’ case examiner (the csa protection department), appeals tribunal, parliamentary and health service ombudsman through your mp for maladministration.’

    There are a couple of sites you can also look at –

    © ChildSupportLaws – general info. – not sure it will help but worth a look. – they don’t help you if you are getting advice elswhere. – I’ve heard of them and they get a good review but cost money. (£30pm I think)

    Read the various threads on here eg ‘Court ruling leaves child maintenance authority ‘emasculated’ – ‘November 1, 2012′

    You may pick up some useful info.

    Finally a specialist csa solicitor may be worth talking to but can be expensive and usually end up putting you in touch with a specialist barrister. Still worth an initial interview though but to reduce costs you can use a ‘direct access’ barrister (find through internet) and save on solicitor costs.

    Good luck and don’t despair, it does end at some point, life does get better, your kids will still need you in years to come whatever is happening now.

  • >