Just discovered my child has been in foster care for 2 years – do I still pay CSA to my ex?

November 12, 2012

I had a one night stand with a girl many years ago. I was 20 years old at the time. I was never given an option as to if I wanted to become a father and at first I dealt with it by burying my head in the sand. I tried many times over the years to see ‘X’ but his mother made it impossible.

She now has a number of different children all by different fathers. I was contacted by the CSA shortly after the birth and have paid every month without fail. She lives on benefits so I understand my payment just comes off them.

Now I’ve been contacted by S.Services saying X has been living in Foster care for 2 years. I’m now seeking custody via the Courts. Do I still need to pay the CSA?


  • chall says:


    In April 2010, a full benefit disregard was introduced for ALL PWC in receipt of benefits mean they could keep the CS paid by the childs parent.

    Child benefit is not payable for a child in receipt of a fostering allowance from a fostering service. However, private foster carers can apply for child benefit and the CSA may get involved.

    A PWC may still be considered the main carer unless the foster care is permanent.

    Good luck with your custody application. If successful, you should apply for child benefit asap.

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  • Alice says:

    as above – adding if you are successful in your custody application and subsequently claim Cb you can open your own case and claim child support from the child’s mother – if she is on benefits you would get awarded a flat rate £5 per week

  • >