I’m left at the end of my rope

March 22, 2014

I have been contacted out of the blue by the CSA demanding over £10k for arrears on my maintenance payments pre 2003.

I know that I was paying maintenance out of my wages and again out of my disability pay during the time in question and was never in arrears. I wrote to them stating everything and have had several phone calls over the past couple of months.

At one point they said they were writing it off, they then said it is pre 2003 and “from another department” and therefore they can’t show me evidence.


They have not started taking money from my part time wages. Due to me working irregular hours they take every penny off me and leave me with £101 per week, some weeks it is up to £50.

I am not on any benefits and cannot survive on £101 per week but they have told me they can’t stop the payments and the re-calculation could take up to 90 days.

I am at the end of my tether and do’nt know where to turn with this. Please any help or advice would be much appreciated.


3 Responses to “I’m left at the end of my rope”

  1. Becca Bee Preorder on March 22nd, 2014 2:30 pm

    get a break down on ur case and check payment to ur wag slips and bank account . if they do not add up take but to CSA or you can go to lawyer or ur MP for help

  2. Mick Reay on March 22nd, 2014 3:10 pm

    You need to write to complaints dept and ask for a full case audit, meanwhile you need to get all of your earnings for each year calculated as evidence

  3. CSA warrior on March 25th, 2014 6:45 pm

    first I will say, I have to live on the same amount due to the same people, so do many others. so lets not use the word cant. I hate the word. toughen up.

    ok now that is out way. the harsh lesson you have to learn is never trust the CSA. they lie. So as a starter I will recommend no more phone calls and inform them that all communication is to be by letter. (email might work.) that way you can confirm what they have said and hold them to it.

    You have a right to your records and this record should include all phone calls. the CSA do log all calls but you have to bear in mind that it is there version of the call, which may be very different to yours

    You have to contact the data protection unit of the CSA. and onec requested the CSA are leagally obliged to provide it. I think it is within 28 days.

    As a point of interest there was a spectacular and highly public computer crash in 2004. lots of peoples data was lost. (over 50,000.) it is rumoured, by a computer magazine that took an interest that, the CSA in the panic put in incorrect data so that the computer would process the claim. when I looked at mine I discovered that I was apparently self- employed earning 200 quid a week. to my knowledge and the DWPs knowledge I was out of work.

    So obtain your record it will cost 10 quid. check it over. and if you find something that is incorrect which I suspect that you will. report your findings by following the complaints procedure.

    If they still dont play ball there is the Indepenadant Case Examiner oor the Parliamentary ombudsman via your Mp.

    As I know how hard it is surviving on what the Csa leave us dads I will wish you good luck. and remind you that there is no such word as cant. cant is a state of mind and a negative one at that. You cant afford the luxury of negative thinking

Got something to say?