If I pay the bills for my partner’s house, shouldn’t the CSA consider this?

September 8, 2012

I have partially moved out of the rented house I shared with my partner because of problems we were having with our children. I have rented another house where I go when I have my 2 kids, so that I can spend quality time with them and hopefully get things put right. I have lived with my partner & her child for 8 yrs, and have always contributed to the household as well as paying my monthly CSA.

I am still with my partner and we spend our time together when we don’t have our kids (her daughter’s father has 50/50 custody). However, my partner could not manage the house on her own wage, so I have continued to contribute to this as well as paying in full for the one I have rented along with my regular CSA payments.

On informing CSA of this, they have said my payments will go up – I understand this to be because they say I can no longer claim to be living with another child – but if I’m still contributing towards the bills of that house, then should this not be taken into consideration? Would/should this be a case for special circumstances?

Thanks in advance.


  • Carol says:

    I think for CSA purposes it’s more for the house you are living in which would be your own rented place. The CSA will probably say it is your choice to contribute towards your partners home.

  • Money you pay towards your ex’s mortgage can be considered by the CSA, but only if you have no interest in the property yourself. If you own any equity in the house, then any money paid by you (even if you’re paying 100% of the mortgage) isn’t counted by the CSA.

  • Eamon says:

    This is not true. I pay 100% of the mortgage on the house where my ex and children live. The CSA took this into consideration and therefore came up with a very low weekly figure that I pay my ex. If you look on their website, it does actually say about making ‘extra payments’ will reduce YOUR weekly payment.

  • Jessica says:

    The mortgage comment isn’t relevant, as he has stated it is a rented property.

    I think the main crux of this is where you spend most of your time and where you consider yourself to be living. If it is a case that you still spend your day to day life with your partner and only spend 2 nights at the other rented property, then it shouldn’t affect your case.

    If, however the opposite is true, then it would affect your case, but no, the CSA have no consideration that you are paying bills on 2 properties, one of your own and one with your current partner.

  • >