How do I get my money back?

February 8, 2015

My CSA case is now closed and I have just had a statement from the CSA saying that I have overpaid by almost £400.00.

When I rang them they said I cant get it back as they have no way of collecting it from the parent with care. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


  • Richard Spencer says:

    Firstly I would say, never accept your case is closed.

    I heard that from the csa and it wasn’t. Don’t believe that and keep every bit of documentation you get from them. I was owed, and then I owed money, that never made much sense, all because the csa can’t seem to file correctly, don’t remember what they have said always, and there are so many offices around the country one office doesn’t know what the other one is doing.

    Here is the advice (it’s going to be a long process), write a complaint, go through the full complaint procedure (trust me this will take several years), keep everything they send to you. If you are still not happy (even if you are, ensure they carry out what they have said) go to the Independent Case Examiner. Even going to the ICE is not easy, you have to have been right through the csa procedures before they will take the case on (there are no short-cuts). When I got to the ICE it was then another year before they (after lots more letters to and from them) came up with a decision, and I know it’s difficult to believe, but it was in my favour. I am now getting maintenance owed to me (from 5 years ago) and also received compensation payments from the csa.

    Stick with it, keep the documentation, keep writing to them when they do not respond within their own timescales, it will all serve as ammunition when you reach that glorious day when the ICE take your case on.

    I’m not going to say that the compensation is a great deal of money, but to get the ICE to say you are right and the csa are wrong is just ……….. priceless.

  • >