CSA Help

How do I appeal a decision made by the CSA?

I informed the CSA that I was starting work and that my 2 children were living with their dad by court order . I gave all my work details to try and support the process to be done as quick as possible for my children. CSA was informed and given proof that I also pay by court order a contact centre to see my children.

So CSA said that I could fill in a form to say that so my CSA payments could be less as I was already paying to see my children. I currently pay £360 a month to a contact centre and I pay for my travel, packed lunch for the 3 of us each week and gifts for my children.if we go out of centre or have more time to get her for an activity the free is extra £30 each hour and then additional costs if we go out of centre. I took my time to fill the form in for CSA.

I was shocked and horrified as I barley get though each month financially that on 30/1/13 I was informed that none of the above matters or counts and I should pay £61.00 each week . Total of £244 a month. So in total I will be paying a minimum of £605 a month if we don’t go out any we’re during our contact other wise it could be lots more with the 2 additional costs for workers time and if we go out.

I do not agree with this as I won’t be able to afford to live and iam already struggling. I won’t be able to go out with my children or buy them any treats.

How do I appeal . Please can you help me. Please.

I want to pay for my children but that isn’t affordable.

Please help.

11 thoughts on “How do I appeal a decision made by the CSA?

  1. I assume from the content of your post that you have applied for a variation on the basis of contact costs. This may be applied for if the NRP is required to travel some distance in order to see their child(ren), costs that can be included are travel costs and overnight accommodation if necessary, an NRP cannot apply for the cost of activities meals etc under contact costs. A successful variation on contact costs would reduce a maintenance calculation by a proportion of the cost and not the whole cost of contact

    As you are paying for use of a contact center and activities within the center can I ask if the use of a contact center is your choice ?

  2. “Peter Brown on February 21st, 2013 5:39 pm

    Nice to see a woman in the same situation as all us Fathers.”

    Do you really mean that, really? I don’t think its ‘nice’ at all and I don’t think the ‘sex’ of the person is relevant.

    I do get your point, some dads go through hell to see their children and to pay an unfair maintenance and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone.

    Perhaps you could try and help Sheryl, maybe then women wouldn’t think so badly of some men?

    I don’t mean to ‘have a go’ at you peter, you may have just been a tiny bit sarcastic without meaning any harm but I can assure you that having been a PWC and an NRP it isnt nice whichever you are if you are having a hard time from the csa.

    Here is some general advice –

    ‘This isnt the csa its an open forum so don’t give names/details etc especially of children. (your own name can be used to identify the kids, and your case)

    Don’t deal with the csa by phone, everything in writing, sent recorded, keep the receipts.

    Copy your MP into everything and try and get them involved as your advocate.

    Make a formal complaint about any decision you are unhappy with from the outset as time limits are involved. Always go for an appeal tribunal asap following the internal process.

    Get a copy of your Data Protection prints from the outset so you know what you are dealing with, again follow the correct procedure in wording your request to get ALL information, send it to the right department, send the correct fee.

    Don’t be afraid to complain about any csa staff, or their superiors if you feel you have just cause.

    Remember the process, internal complaint, ‘independent’ case examiner (the csa protection department), appeals tribunal, parliamentary and health service ombudsman through your mp for maladministration.’

    There are a couple of sites you can also look at –

    © ChildSupportLaws – general info.

    Nacsa can be helpful.

    Do everything in writing, get your data prints and you may get an idea how its all been worked out.

    Alice can probably advise you better than me about the calculation procedures.

  3. A Basic Calculation (net income over £200 per week)

    NRP average net weekly income

    less allowance for any ROCs (relevant other children – ie children living in the nrp’s household for whom the NRP is financially responsible) – 15% = 1 child, 20% = 2 children 25% = 3 children or more

    multiplied by 15% for 1 QC, 20% for 2 QCs or 25% for 3 or more QCs

    this figure is then rounded up or down to the nearest £1

    if there is shared care this will be taken off after the rounding up/down
    if there is a variation this will be added or subtracted from at this point (added if the variation is awarded to PWC, subtracted if it’s awarded to the NRP)

    this will give the weekly liability payable by the NRP

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.