How can I pay the CSA and pay rent?

July 9, 2012

I am a single full time working Mum, Unfortunately my son went to live with his dad over a year ago. My Daughter still lives with me. I earn a resonable wage just enough to pay the bills and live.

My son’s father took a claim out with the C.S.A about 8 months ago and they worked out that i should pay £179 per month. I do not mind paying for my wonderful son but his father earns thousands of pounds per year and is just claiming to get at me.

It will be very hard for me to find this money. also the C.S.A are trying to make me pay £600 per month for 4 months to pay the arears. How am I suppose to live pay rent and get to work????

Why do the C.S.A not take into account the other persons financial matters.


  • chall says:


    On present rules a NRP’s out goings are not taken into account.
    If a non resident parent has an income of more than £200 pw the CSA’s calculation for 1 child is 15%, less overnight stays etc. However, before the calculation is made, as you have a child living in your household 15% should be deducted prior to the liability being calculated.

    Have you checked to see if you are entitled to any help with rent, WTC, CTC, etc ?

    How have the arrears accrued?

    Do you receive child maintenance from your daughter’s father?

    If paying £600 pm will cause genuine financial hardship, you could try writing to the agency enclosing details of your incomings and outgoings and suggest a reasonable repayment amount.

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  • Carol says:

    I find it grossly unfair also that both incomes are not taken into account but legislation does not allow this.

    You will have to contact the CSA as soon s you can, or they may impose a DEO on your salary to take the money anyway. Contact the CSA and let them know the financial hardship and ask them to be ‘reaonable’.

    As chall says have they taken into account your daughter is living with you as this will reduce the assessment.

  • Terry says:

    Can you not do a counter claim as your daughter lives with you?
    If you are paying for your son then he should pay for his daughter.
    On saying that this system is so corrupt you never know what they will do.

  • >