Does the CSA take into account the cost of living for dads?

February 25, 2013

My wife left me for another man whilst I was in hospital seriously ill.

She has been horrible ever since, she pushed me out of our home and moved him in, i toke nothing but my car and clothes, I’ve had to start again from nothing. Her new partners son has been bullying mine and she has lied and said it’s not an issue.

But she has been good about the children, I have them in total 30 HOURS a month more than her, she gets the family allowance and I get tax credits, she works pretty much full time, she is now going to the CSA for mainteance payments. I’m am angry and worried, do they take into account cost of living and other commitments, can she really get any where?


15 Responses to “Does the CSA take into account the cost of living for dads?”

  1. Duncan Smith on February 25th, 2013 3:08 pm

    basically, no thay don’t give a shit

  2. Russell Cowling on February 25th, 2013 4:02 pm

    If ur male,not a chance,they don’t know one end of the pen to the other.

  3. Smithy on February 25th, 2013 4:34 pm

    Apparently it’s all “factored in” along a “national average” calculation that a central planner from the USSR would be proud of. So there was one case where the father was paying large amounts of salary in train fairs to get to work and the advice was that he should get a different job nearer to his home as his travel expenses were above the “national average” that they had “factored in”.

  4. Jason Spurgeon on February 25th, 2013 6:53 pm

    Welcome to my world and countless others. Like the a previous comment said. No.
    Everything is bias towards woman, I workd 40 hours a week, have now had to give up my mobile phone, and now going to have to give up my vehicle (that I need to see my children). Housing costs are not considered for NRP’s The Child support agency wasn’t designed to the best interest of the children. It was only designed to pander to mothers and the money grabbing government. The rights of children and fathers are ignored and as far everyone is concerned. I do not drink, smoke, go out, and yet I can barely afford to provide a home for myself and my chidlren. the ex meanwhile gets house paid for, tax credits, child benefit, jobseekers possibly, CSA money, and does her best to deny me my children. Sorry it’s not what you wish to hear. I wish you better luck than I’m currently having in getting some financial fairness in your situation.

  5. Alice on February 25th, 2013 7:02 pm

    the calculation for 1 child would be 15% of your net income – you would also be given an allowance for any children living in your household for whom you are financially responsible – these could be children you have with a new partner or a new partner’s children who she had from a previous relationship. If you have your child overnight more then 52 nights per year you would also get a shared care allowance deducted from your maintenance

    The calculation is based on allowing an NRP (non resident parent) an amount for their cost of living after CM is paid – it is a standard %age based calculation so individual living costs are not used.

  6. j on February 25th, 2013 8:24 pm

    “Alice on February 25th, 2013 7:02 pm

    the calculation for 1 child would be 15% of your net income ”

    I thought it was now done on a gross income?

  7. wilf on February 25th, 2013 9:10 pm

    Gross income is only used for CS3 cases, which at the moment only involve those cases appertaining to 4 four or more QCs.
    CS1and CS3 continue to use net income.

  8. j on February 25th, 2013 9:39 pm

    “wilf on February 25th, 2013 9:10 pm

    Gross income is only used for CS3 cases, which at the moment only involve those cases appertaining to 4 four or more QCs.
    CS1and CS3 continue to use net income.”

    Fab so a level playing field for all then.

  9. Amanda Johnson on February 26th, 2013 2:09 am

    total nonesense if you have proof that you have your children 50-50 then they have to take this into account when looking at maintenence. It has nothing to do with being male or female for that matter. The proof they will need would most likely be in the form of the child tax credits being in your name as you only get this if you have the children a certain amount of time.

  10. Alice on February 26th, 2013 7:49 am

    CS3 is being phased in – currently only new applications with 4 or more children to the same NRP and PWC are on CS3, next phase is to move existing cases with 4 or more over then over time all cases will be on CS3.

    CS3 cases will also re-assess on an annual basis and income figures will be taken direct from HMRC tax records for the previous year. Any mid-year re-assessments requested by NRP or PWC will require a change in income of 25% or more.

  11. chall on February 26th, 2013 9:09 am


    On the current scheme, over night contact counts for a shared care reduction.

    The link below will take you to a CSA calculator. You can enter your details and get a rough idea how much your liability should be.

  12. Sally on February 26th, 2013 9:26 am

    Quick question Alice – what happens to parents who intitially involve the CSA but decide to go with their own private arrangement. Can the NRP be contact at a later date for any reason if agreed payment is made until the child is 20 (or fits the criteria that defines when CM payment stops).


  13. Alice on February 26th, 2013 8:14 pm

    if a couple reach a private agreement they can close their case or make the case maintenance direct. If the private agreement works out then the agency have no further involvement. If the private agreement breaks down and the child(ren) still meet the QC criteria either NRP or PWC can contact the agency to open a new case or change back to agency collection – if the case was made MD and there are missed payments during the time the case was MD the agency cannot be used to collect these payments, they will only seek to collect RM or arrears from the date they are contacted to change the case back to agency collection. If the case was closed and a new application made again the agency cannot be used to collect any payments due in the period whilst the case was closed.

    the only other reason the agency would contact the NRP would be if there were arrears on the case before it was closed or made MD. The PWC can request arrears to be collected at any time, even after the child(ren) no longer meet the QC criteria. SoS arrears can also be collected after the child(ren) no longer meet the QC criteria.

    The govt’s thinking with CS3 is to encourage parents to reach private agreements

  14. Steve Graham on March 1st, 2013 6:34 pm

    It’s appalling how they work out what you should pay. Rather than taking into account what you have to pay to live every day, they work out what you earn and then they do the amount you should pay. Then they claim they sympathise with you but it’s legislation and there is nothing they can do. Surely there is a fairer way to work it out so both parties can afford to live. I now only go to work to pay CSA.

  15. Liyanne on May 8th, 2013 12:15 pm

    Sorry it’s a little late. My husband went through almost the same situation as you. Once CS3 is opened to you then if you share your kids about 50/50 then there should be no maintenance, which is logical. There is a reference here.
    It is very hard to find out about this, and CS3 is still applicable only to new cases with 4+ kids with the same parents. Then it will be new cases with 2+ kids and the same parents. It will be several years I hear for older cases on CS1 or CS2 to be transferred so it might be worth having a private agreement in the meantime if you can. My husband’s ex would not be willing to part with money which she currently, in my opinion, unjustly receives from my husband who also has the children more, so we are having to keep this hush hush at the moment until the new rules come in for us.
    I highly recommend NACSA. They offer a lot of help to people trying to navigate this minefield.
    Good luck with it all.

Got something to say?