CSA want money for a child I do not have

July 15, 2010

I was in a relationship over ten years ago and while working away in london my partner decided to end the relationship and move out of the house. Until last year i was unaware she had a child until the CSA sent me a letter.

The child’s surname was totally different to mine then all of a sudden the CSA sent me another letter stating they were going to take money direct from my wages. The child’s surname was changed to my surname why i don’t know but i was totally unaware of the child even been born.

The CSA will not let me have a DNA test as it has been too long over a lot of years is what they said??

They are telling me i have to go to court to declare disown parentialship

Can any one help???


  • Brokenfather says:

    If you are not on the childs birth certificate the CSA have no right to refuse you a DNA test.

    If they wont agree, write to your MP.

  • frustrated dad says:

    They say my name is on the birth certificate when the mother changed the childs surname to mine yet i’ve never signed any certificate.So do you think the citizens advice will help.

  • Brokenfather says:

    You are correct, you cannot be named on the birth certificate in your absence unless the parents are married, and you wern’t.

    Advise the CSA that the copy birth certificate they have must be a forgery. If they dont believe you, again involve your MP.

  • frustrated dad says:

    Thank you very much you have set my mind at rest i’ll get the wheels in motion

  • jessica says:

    Hi I was just woundering if the father of a baby is not on the birth cert do they save to pay csa? He is refusing to ? Many thanks Jessicapay a agreed amount so I was wondering if u can go on ?

  • M says:

    My advice would be to demand a DNA test – it doesn’t matter how many years have passed – if you don’t take a test you could be paying for this child for 21 years and it may not be yours. Write to your MP and explain that it is unfair to take your money without a test – anything can be written on a birth certificate and DNA testing is the only way to know for sure. Insist on a test, best of luck.

  • k turton says:

    The CSA are correct re offering DNA testing if history demonstrates that your case has been open ‘years’ as your post suggests. This is not the CSA being awkward it is them acting within the legislation they have to work to.

    In these cases DNA testing has to be authorised by the Courts. The correct terminology is a ‘Declaration of Parentage’.

    Basically the Courts can order the mother to participate in DNA testing and ultimately if she refuses you can apply to the courts to be declared not the father and ergo not responsible for child support.

    On a separate note if you were unaware of the child and your case has been open years you possibly have and Interim Maintenance Assessment or a Default Maintenance Assessment (the former relate to cases open up to 2.3.03 and the latter cases open after 3.3.03.

    IMA’s can be converted to formal assessments, ofter much lower. Default ma’s can be cancelled if you can prove you were not served with Nortice of application ie CSA wrote to you at an incorrect address hence your ignorance over the years.

    You would be liable from date they made contact with you, DNA positivity confirming.

    DNA costs average £400 to £500 but once you have permission from the courts check with the CSA that the company you use for DNA are accredited by them as they can refuse results from companies that are not approved by the Secretary of State for the Dept of Work & Pensions.

    Good Luck

  • >