CSA told me ‘be happy with what you get’

January 23, 2012

My ex ran off with another woman getting on for 3 years ago now, we have two children together. He is a company director earning £3000 per month net (probably more now but that was the amount 3 years ago), his pay slips only state £480 per month because he receives the rest in share dividends. When I applied to the CSA he sent in his payslips (stating only £480 per month) and they sent me a decision of £5 per week for both of my children.

My ex said that he would still give me £200 per month as he wanted to support his children (not much support if you ask me but anyway) – I got back in touch with the CSA telling them again of his director status, which I can proved with documents from Companies House and also some bank statements at the time (as he had to provide them for use in our divorce court battle!), clearly stating an income of over £3000 per month. His new wife has two children but they don’t live with them they live with their father, although my ex states to the CSA that he supports them, which isn’t true.

The CSA told me that they are happy with the evidence he has sent (pay slips) and that as he only has to pay me £5 per week and I am getting £200 per month I should be happy with what I get and should not upset the ex as he could easily just decide to give me £5 per week! – they said they were not willing to look at my evidence as in bank statements etc as they would need his permission to even look at them, which of course he’s not going to give.

So I’m living on the bread line basically, whilst the ex swans about in designer clothes and sports cars, whilst laughing in my face. Anyone got any advice? Thanks. Desperate mum of 2 xxx


6 Responses to “CSA told me ‘be happy with what you get’”

  1. bob on January 23rd, 2012 12:11 pm

    At least he is paying the csa has over 600,000 cases of nil assessment. If he was earning 3k a month 3years ago he may well earn more but equally since you “know” of this he could equally after 3yrs be earning far far less.

    To be honest he should support his children more. I pay nearing 200 a month for one child on just over 1k. I also have my child overnight but won’t put a variation in because it will result in my ex stopping me seeing my child. If I were you I probably would take this and be happy… Your other option is to work and you support your children financially

  2. chall on January 23rd, 2012 4:17 pm


    If your ex seems to have a lifestyle inconsistent with their declared earning you could apply for a variation, on the grounds of lifestyle inconsistent with income.
    Unless you have persuasive evidence it’s possible your application would be refused and you would need to appeal.

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  3. Michael - CSAhell.com staff on January 23rd, 2012 5:18 pm

    If he is voluntarily paying you £200 per month, he obviously earns more than £480 per month. You should be careful though because if you push it he could just stop paying you the £200, especially if his paying will make it appear that he earns more than he claims.

    How much do you think he should pay you? Rather than going to the CSA and complaining, perhaps you should speak to your ex and have a figure in mind. If he is a businessman, then a proposal of how much you think you should be paid, and what it will be used for, is more likely to work than letters and phonecalls to the CSA just saying you want more money.

  4. karen bedford on January 24th, 2012 10:58 am

    I would like to know what planet some people are on? If only it was an ideal world that we could negotiate how much to pay for the child and get the correct amount needed and what both can afford – we wouldnt need or have had the CSA set up and wouldnt need this website!

    Yes these words – be happy with what you get’ comes out a lot from the CSA along with ‘we have to give them the benefit of the doubt’ I would love to know what drugs these people are on – as I could do with some of them!

  5. tracey on February 2nd, 2012 5:48 pm

    souds very unfair but they can tell him he ony has to pay the 5 a week my partner has children with another lady before we met we now have our own and still have to pay the same as anyone else they eve take MY worling tax into account which is supposed to support my children she has her own.; system is a failure people like urself nt getting enough and our family well overpaying u will find if he marrys her finances will be taken into account ass mine have

  6. lisa on March 7th, 2013 8:24 pm

    See this annoys me greatly, single men who work get nothnig else bar there wages, out of that they pay it all, women however get whatever they can claim and more, then fleece the father of whatever the decide they want from him, so before you decide he should be paying ex amount, thats what you get child benefit and child tax credits for, be happy with the amount offered, go get a job, maybe your ex would be reasonable with you if you werent so bloody money minded

Got something to say?