CSA deductions have left me demoralised

May 4, 2014

I have three young children who live with their Mother. I didn’t want to divorce. I now earn less than 15k per year. I pay approximately 260 pounds per months.

After the CSA payment I take home around 800 pounds per month. My rent is 500 pounds per month (I’ve had to sell my house). That leaves me with 300 pounds to feed, clothe myself, pay my bills and feed my children when they visit every other weekend.

How can I survive? It’s impossible and I’m progressing further and further into debt.

My ex’s new partner is self employed, lives in a four bedroom house worth 200k, drives a new car and has a company vehicle but he doesn’t pay a penny to his ex wife for his two children. How can this be fair?

I want to work but where’s the incentive. I feel so demoralised.


11 Responses to “CSA deductions have left me demoralised”

  1. Cheryl on May 4th, 2014 3:49 pm

    Join the club, my partner is in the same boat, if he wasn’t with me and with my income he would be up the preverbial creek. I really feel for you!!!

  2. Simon Scott on May 4th, 2014 4:06 pm

    It’s cos he’s self employed! He probably pays little or no tax either!

  3. Becca Bee Preorder on May 4th, 2014 5:34 pm

    self employed people are harder to claim on as their is not set wag if he ex wanted money from him she have to do via PA . maybe its a road you should look down if you cant live on want you get now .

  4. Amanda Johnson on May 4th, 2014 8:07 pm

    If you feel the assessment is wrong the ask for a reconsideration and provide details of income etc

  5. Amanda Johnson on May 4th, 2014 8:30 pm

    Amanda Johnson liked this on Facebook.

  6. Kev Kevlar Gregory on May 5th, 2014 2:53 am

    Yes he has got his head on! Skets like you should just get a job instead of trying to live off other ppls money! Fair play to him and fucking ha! Bitch

  7. Kev Kevlar Gregory on May 5th, 2014 9:00 am

    Kev Kevlar Gregory liked this on Facebook.

  8. gonk on May 5th, 2014 9:44 am

    This is a classic example of the csa and how it treats nrp’s they don’t care about you or how you will live.

  9. jo on May 5th, 2014 10:03 am

    Kev, read the post again…..it’s an nrp who’s ex is living with someone who is self employed and pays zilch yet he pays to top up their lifestyle whilst in poverty!

    To the op, I would question your assessment if you think it is wrong. 3 children it’s 25% of your earnings less any overnight stays your children have with you. If it’s wrong write a letter of complaint and see your mp.

  10. Christina Shields on May 5th, 2014 11:10 am

    Get a grip Kev ! Most women do work it’s dick heads like you that give men a bad name, ditching their responsibilities – it’s the kids that suffer in most cases ! I agree there are some right greedy women but many of us do actually spend any maintenance we do get on our children ! I pity your children if that’s your attitude !!! You make yourself sound as bad as the greedy women !

  11. Howard on May 5th, 2014 3:41 pm

    Thanks Jo. Yes, Kev has misunderstood my post. I’ve asked the CSA to recalculate but it appears correct. It’s the fact that I earn so little that’s the problem. My fault I know. I used to earn twice as much but my ex wanted her own business so I obliged and in didn’t go to plan. Then she left. Jobs are hard to find but at least I choose to work rather than claim benefits.

    25% is the basic rate for 3 children. This applies to anyone earning between 200 & 800 pounds per week after tax. That’s a huge range. I earn just over 200 pounds so I pay the same as someone at the other end of the scale!

    I’m not looking for sympathy. I agree I should pay for my children. But how can I do that if I can’t look after myself? The CSA assessment criteria is massively flawed. Thanks for all your suggestions. H.

Got something to say?