CSA deducted money from me for days I did not work!

June 30, 2012

I have suffered at the hands of the CSA for many years now and recently the trouble has started again. During the Queen’s jubilee I did not work the 4th of June and was ill on the 5th, as a PAYE employee I didn’t earn a crust for those two days off work but did work the following three days up until the 8th of June. The CSA deducted £30.69 from my earnings that week to cover those three worked days.

Recently to my horror the CSA deducted £100 from me on the 22nd of June 2012 stating it was to cover the shortfall during the week ending the 8th of June 2012, my usual expected amount to pay £65.54 per week.

I spoke to the CSA and they stated that they can only take up to 40% of my earnings as the protected earnings is 60%, fair enough but how can they take 40% if I didn’t earn it for those two days?

To simplify it, I did not work those two days, so how can they take money from me if I didn’t earn it? I have the full conversation with my employer over this matter and they say they acted by CSA instruction, however when I spoke to the CSA they blamed my employer.


  • Cindie Hall says:

    Hi this is dispicable of the csa they are a law unto themselves. I would seriously write to the MP about this. I have wrote loads to the MP and he has sorted hassle with the CSA out for me. I have just recently had another load of hassle off of the CSA I have taped the phone conversation because i was talked to like a piece of dirt I have sent the recording with email to the MP and he always sorts things. Please please please get in touch with the MP if enough of us do this then surely they will have to sort the CSA out. Also have you noticed the CSA have a PO box that says it all. Also they use 0845 numbers that cos tthe earth on most phones but I have found the number direct to the CSA that does not cost anything. Good luck with this and do write to the MP it is worth the while

  • brett says:

    Andrew, as much as I sympathise with your situation here and I criticise the CSA as much as anyone it would be a logistic nightmare the CSA not taking payments for odd days not worked. They always claim their computers are down or working very slowly. Send a recorded letter to their complaints department and copy of letter or email it to your MP.
    Your real problems will start when the CSA reasess you, don’t tell you and your eventually informed that you owe thousands in ficticious arrears. I understand that if the amount owed is over £3,000 they then have the power to issue a DEO, send baliffs to your house and issue a Liability Order.

  • Anthony Tovey says:

    You obviously never heard of the United Kingdom Men’s Movement -U.K.M.M., Dads After Divorce, Families Needs Fathers, Mankind and any other anti-C.S.A. campaigns. It might pay you to RESEARCH PROPERLY.

  • Alice says:

    the csa do not work on a day to day basis – they calculate your assessment using either 5 full weekly or 2 full monthly wage slips – from these they will calculate an average weekly income and base your assessment on that. If your work pattern changes and you start regularly earning less than the amount the assessment is based on you are entitled to to request a re-assessment and will be asked to provide 5 weekly or 2 monthly wage slips, if your regular income drops by 5% your maintenance liability will drop. The fact that you had 2 days unpaid will not entitle you to a re-assessment as your regular income will not have dropped enough over the 5 weeks or 2 months. Likewise if your regular income increases by more than 5% your case can be re-assessed and you would be liable to pay more. In respect of the Jubilee day this should have been a paid holiday so you need to address that with your employer. If you are sick for 1 day and the company do not pay you for those days then this is not the CSA’s fault and your assessment will not change. If you are ever long term sick and will only be receiving SSP then you should inform the csa and a re-assessment will be done – you will still be expected to pay towards arrears that you have accrued when you did not pay.

    In respect of the DEO, the information provided by the CSA is correct, they can take a maximum of 40% of your weekly income, this will only happen if you have arrears due to you not paying at some point. If your earnings drop in a particular week and your employer is unable to make the full amount asked for on the DEO then they will pay 40% of that week’s wages and will be expected to pay the shortfall in subsequent weeks when your earnings allow.

  • >