CSA Advice

Child left college but CSA still want me to pay

My son moved out at 171/2 to live with his mother.

Next thing I get a letter through the door saying my son is attending college and I would have to pay child support. I pay child suppport and then in May I find out he is not attending college and has quit. I informed the CSA of this and they said they cannot take my word for it. They also said the mother is recieving child benefit so you still have to pay.

My son son left college in march time why am I still paying? And why wont they investigate to find out if child benefit fraud is taking place? Am I mistaking the guidelines as stated on their website “over 18 and in full time education and also the parent is receiving child benefit

They did query the mother and she has replied my son has reapplied to college to start in September (he is 19 on the 29th of October). The reply I keep getting from the CSA is “well you stop paying in October” and “she still receives child benefit

These people dont know their own rules

9 thoughts on “Child left college but CSA still want me to pay

  1. The best thing to do is to obtain their rules and regulations booklet underlining all the relevant details,write down the relevant comments in their rules and regulations pamphlets that you have recieved from CSA and write the relevant complaints, contact the CSA for an addressed prepaid envelope so that you can forward the relevant complaints and quieries to the issue and ask for a written confirmation of their actions in response to your complaints and quieries. I also advise you to contact the DWP fraud hotline in regards to these issues in regards to benefit fraud commited by the PWC….the NRP also has civil rights to be informed of the relevant actions taken. Use that right as you are entitled to it….

  2. i think its when the child leaves full time education mate….they are fuckers like that

  3. NRP's should learn to take control and show the Corrupt Sanctamoniuos Aggressors that we have rights to use the law to our advantage just as the PWC and CSA have done with us.

  4. why do you have a problem providing finacial support for your son. He has to eat, wash, live, have a social life etc. last time I checked these basic human needs cost money ie food, heating, clothes, money so he can out with friends ( he is a teenager). I would suggest you spend your energy speaking to your son and trying to support him finacially and not venting about having to pay!!! I find your attitude selfish!

  5. I am in exactly the same situation.
    As for stacey clarkes comments. I think no response is the best answer.

    Lets look at the lagality:

    1) The CSA claim that the only check they are obliged to do is to find out if child benefit is being paid. WRONG.

    The CSA stipulate that a child over the age of 16 MUST be in full time education. This is the law. Child Benefit is NOT the CSA. CSA operates under the child support law. Child benefit is dealt with by HM Revenue and Customs.

    2() The CSA advise that the best thing to do is inform HMRC of fraudulent child benefit claims. WRONG! The CSA’s mantra does not extend to forcing a parent to instigate investigations regarding benefit fraud. An NRP taking this course of action is forced into inflaming tensions between parents – detrimentally affecting teh child. This is NOT what the CSA is for, despite ignorant officers advising on this course of action.

    3) The NRP is LEGALLY required to inform the CSA of any change in circumstances – such as a child not being in full time education. They are NOT obliged to inform the CSA of any change in child benefit. As in most cases, the NRP wants everything done “by the book” until it is to their financial detriment.

    The CSA always claim that everything they do checks back to who gets child benefit and when they get it or not. This is complete and utter rubbish. The CSA operate under Child Support Act 1991.

    The appropriate terms described in the Act are “Qualifying child” and “person with care” the definitions in the Act Do NOT refer to Child benefit. If the CSA refuse to listen, complain. It doesnt help because most officers of the CSA fail to understand what legislation empowers them. The Act has NOTHING whatsoever to do with Child Benefit.

    Advising parents to “report fraud” is a dereliction of duty. The CSA claim that any parent failing to inform them of a change of circumstances is committing a criminal offence and liable for a fine of £1000. where the person doing so is the PWC, quite frankly they dont give a stuff.

    Complain in writing, re-complain, take them to the ombudsman. you WILL win. It will take forever and may not be worth the hassle. the main thing to bear in mind is the child.

  6. @ Stacey Clarke when a “child” turns 18 they are no longer a child but actually a grown adult, when they leave full time education to full fill full time work then they actually become there own person, So as for your facts that he isnt providing for his “child” this person is no longer a child but a MAN now who can provide for himself

  7. @ Stephen Smith please follow these things here you wont go far wrong to sorting these idiots out at the CSA, good luck
    CSA complaints free phone number 08007838527 You may have been phoning and complaining to the CSA for a long time getting nowhere use this guide and you will see how quickly they respond. Please do excuse if I repeat the steps I have done this for a good reason. 1.Complain and Appeal and get your MP involved EMAIL the complaint and appeal copy everyone in.
    2.Order your Data Prints by post and email.
    3.Email all and sundry use the email list and email them every couple of days to remind them.
    4.Not happy with data prints items missing Complain to ICO be sure to copy everyone in. [email protected]
    This is what you do immediately if you believe the CSA are taking too much from you! ■First thing you must do is make an official Complaint and Appeal *EMAIL THE COMPLAINT*and contact your MP and get them involved regarding your issues you are having with the CSA. Mention that you believe that they have made an Official Error. Ask the CSA for the decision to be set aside as they are not leaving you enough to live on and is going to cause you an injustice. This is based upon Regulation 55 of the Child Support Act (Maintenance Assessment Procedure) 1992
    Attach a copy of ALL your outgoings, even the things the CSA don’t allow for

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.