Can you pay CSA direct to child?

September 19, 2010

I got divorced nearly 7 years ago now, and due to my ex not wanting the kids I took that role on.Like most men i thought it better for them to be with there mum especially since they are girls. I went to the CSA and got NO were fast, no money no help nothing, I finally recieved payments for round about 12 months, but my ex had a break down and i wrote the arrears off. I now find i am in the possition were my youngest (17) has chosen to live with her mum and attend college full time, and the eldest is going to college for which i will be paying the accomadation for although she would be living with me if the college was local, yet my ex has approached the csa and I havebeen told I will have to pay £300 a month for my youngest.

My ex’s first reaction to the news her daughter was going to live with her for the first time since we got divorced… oh YES csa payments.

Can you pay your daughter direct rather than give money to a cash hungry, smoking and binge drinking ex? or is it just a case of pack in work…play the game so to speak. I cant afford my rent, council tax, gas, electric, etc and pay for my eldests college whilst the ex contributes nothing to that!!!
rant over!


6 Responses to “Can you pay CSA direct to child?”

  1. Lorraine Moore on September 19th, 2010 1:25 pm

    Unfortunately can't 🙁

  2. Brokenfather on September 19th, 2010 2:51 pm

    Nope, it has to be paid to the resident parent unless they agree otherwise.

  3. Lee Hughes on September 19th, 2010 3:17 pm

    I'm pretty sure if they could, a lot of the issues would disappear!!! What might be better is a standard amount like CB equiv paid to the mother and a secondary amount put in a special account for the child!

  4. Emma Jarrett Seager on September 19th, 2010 3:37 pm

    I think you should be able to set up an account for the kids and pay the money in for when they are 18, then they can decide what they need most. XX

  5. Jason Wallace on September 20th, 2010 10:04 am

    only if they live in Scotland

  6. Alice on September 25th, 2012 9:26 pm

    the csa can pay direct to a child in scotland if the child is the person making the claim
    the csa will pay the money direct to the child’s bank account if that is where the parent with care instructs them to pay it to
    if you have concerns about the welfare of your child due to her mother’s drinking etc then you should perhaps consider trying to get your daughter back living with you – although your child is 17 and she will have a say in where she lives
    if your eldest is under 19 and attending non-advanced education you can still apply for CM via CSA as you are still the PWC for that child

    you say you agreed to ‘write off’ the arrears owed to you- does this mean that you agreed to the debt being adjusted or did you just agreed to have the debt suspended? If the debt was suspended it can be re-instated and the CSA can start to collect it from your ex even if your case is closed

Got something to say?