Can I claim CSA from dad living in Jersey?

January 8, 2012

Am i able to claim maintenance from a dad that lives in jersy?

I split from in oct1995 he paid for the first two years on and off. I met a new partner and we r still maried and have gone on to have another 2 children. the 2 girls dad who lives in jersey restarted paying money into the girls bank account, for their spends.(THIS MONEY WAS FOR THEM ONLY I WAS NOT TO HAVE A PENNY) on the odd ocassion we as a family would be really strugling and would ask him for help he would send aprox one hundred pound, around 10 time over the 8 years have lived in manchester.(he remains in jersey).

He has helped towards new beds school trips and a few other things. He thinks i am being greedy when i ask for maintenance. He has stoped putting money into girls accounts. he has disowned them over them asking him for thier pockett money as it was called.

He has stopped these payments saying he is skint. he worked in norway and on one occassion asked the elder daughter to transfer money. he had twelve thousand pound in one account and six thousand in another. He has returned to jersey, visiting the girls on way back. We r not sure if he is working at the moment but do know he is never out of work for long and we understand high cost of living in jersey.

Have given you the background am i able to claim csa from him.There is also a letter i wrote for him to the income tax dept in jersey agreeing that he send spend to the girls weekly.they said we had to have somthing in writting him agreeing to pay me x amount i cant remember every week. this letter would be with jersey income tax dept.

We were never married , his name is on both birt certs. also because of jersey law they had to take my sirname


2 Responses to “Can I claim CSA from dad living in Jersey?”

  1. chall on January 11th, 2012 9:44 am

    Hi susan,

    No, you would need to go through the courts to secure a maintenance order.

    Jersey a REMO reciprocating country (Reciprocal Enforcement of Maintenance Orders), this is the process by which maintenance orders made by UK courts on behalf of UK residents can be registered and enforced by courts or other authorities in other countries against people resident there.

    “A UK resident who wishes to apply to obtain maintenance from a person overseas should approach their local magistrates’ court (or county court where the order was made) if they have an existing court order for maintenance; or
    their local magistrates’ court if there is no existing order.
    They may apply for their order to be enforced in the country where the payer resides. Procedures also exist to enable an applicant to ask the foreign authorities to create an order for maintenance on their behalf. There is no need for the applicant to engage a solicitor. Court staff will help the applicant and will forward the application to the relevant authority. The authority will check that the application is in order and send it to the foreign authority or court for registration and enforcement against the person living there.”

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  2. Emma Wells on May 6th, 2014 10:37 pm

    Similar kinda story, very interesting. Great advice thanks.

Got something to say?