Can I claim child maintenance for 18 year old student still in full time education?

December 31, 2011

I live with my 18 year old daughter who is still in full time education at coleg gwent campus crosskeys newport.

I was wondering if I am able to receive child maintenance while she is still in full time education.

I have two other children who live with their mother. I pay child maintenance for my other two children through my jobseekers allowance.

I have been asking this question for months well since my daughter has been in college and this is her third year but I am none the wiser as no one seems to get back to me.

It is also possible that she will be going back to college for another year to.

I would really appreciate a reply as to whether or not I am able to claim anything for my daughter and hope to get a reply soon.

Thank you for your time


  • KMcQ80 says:

    I think you’ll find that maintenance is due if your child is in full time education up to the end of that academic year.
    This means if your child had their 18 birthday between 1st September 2011 and 21st August 2012 and is in full time education, you are entitled to maintenance.
    All payments will end (except for arrears) on 1st September 2012 whether your child is in full time education or not.

  • joanne says:

    If your still claiming child benefit then yes

  • Mick says:

    The CSA are charging me for my daughter upto and including her 19th birthday, so the simple answer to your question is yes, you can claim maintenabnce for your child upto 19 but not beyond.

  • >