Can I claim back on travel expenses for when I see my child?

July 17, 2014

I have to travel 120 miles round trip when i collect my daughter and the same when taking her home.

In total i drive 480 miles per month, can i make a claim on this?


17 Responses to “Can I claim back on travel expenses for when I see my child?”

  1. Ben Wiskin on July 17th, 2014 3:30 pm

    Claim back from who, the child the money is paid to? Don’t be a tool.
    You’re going to see your children who the fuck do you think should be paying your travel expenses?

  2. Suzie Jones on July 17th, 2014 3:58 pm

    If all ur worried about is whos going to pay ur petrol then u dont deserve to see ur child! Ur child ur responsibility!!

  3. Charlotte Rosevear on July 17th, 2014 4:13 pm

    If you want to see the child then you would go to any lengths to see them despite how much it costs. Your child will understand how much effort money and time it takes then to come and see them!!!

  4. Sarah Senior on July 17th, 2014 4:36 pm

    You can see if they will look at a variation but it depends on circumstances ie did the mother move away to make it difficult for you see your daughter or whether you choose to move away with explaining your travel costs especially if you are struggling financially and don’t want your daughter to miss out. Hope this helps.

  5. Steve Anderson on July 17th, 2014 4:45 pm


  6. Isla Reid on July 17th, 2014 4:59 pm

    Ben Wiskin, I understand what you are saying but take my situation, I have money struggles my ex doesn’t even see the money I pay to the CSA as it is taken off of my ex’s child tax credits. xx

  7. Duncan Smith on July 17th, 2014 5:02 pm

    Yes Laura

  8. Melanie Parton on July 17th, 2014 5:03 pm

    nope u cant

  9. Melanie Parton on July 17th, 2014 5:04 pm

    all in favour of pwc if u cant c yr kid coz of expense they love it n will activly tell pwc to stop contact in order to ectort more muny from dads

  10. Ben Wiskin on July 17th, 2014 5:06 pm

    Then whether the money is paid via child tax credits or csa, the children are paid and cared for, that’s all that matters.
    I pay £103 a week and have a 340 mile round trip to see my son when I’m allowed. I don’t expect anyone else to pay my fuel or train fare, it’s just life. I don’t expect my boss to pay my travel expenses to get to work.

  11. Chris Mcdougle on July 17th, 2014 5:37 pm

    Yes u can it falls under what the Csa call a variation..but take my advice it’s not worth the stress & hassle…because it will end up being pennies…

  12. Peter Barraclough on July 17th, 2014 5:38 pm

    no u cant fortunately. however it is up to both parents to see that child has realtionship with both parents, so traveling SHOULD be shared or meet halfway! see if that an option mate. it can be hard these days, paying csa an bills etc, so i know were u comin from

  13. Justice Prince on July 17th, 2014 5:49 pm

    I pay csa for my child and I have a 8 hour round trip to collect my son every other fridsy and then the same to take him back to pwc on the Sunday, it costs me 360quid a month the pwc is supposed to meet me half way and contribute towards travel but does neither despite a court order being in place, I still have to pay my own bills on top of this.. I would say I’m shocked at some of the comments on this link but I’m not. We all want to see our children but sometimes it’s just not viable. So please people think it through before making stupid comments.

  14. Becky KJ Mummywright on July 17th, 2014 8:12 pm

    Yes you can its not will know but you can .

  15. Gonk on July 18th, 2014 12:04 pm

    @ben wiskin
    No it’s not fucking just life. There’s a principal involved here and it goes like this. Why should the father be forced to pay the mother hundreds each month and then be expected to to cough up hundreds more to see his kids….it should be 50 50 so why the hell shouldn’t the mother help him see his kid by contributing as well by way of say meeting halfway or sharing his fuel cost to ensure THEIR child’s need to see his/her dad.
    The hard facts are it is about money,money or the lack of it has a direct effect,impact on life. So stop being a tool….the ex should fucking contribute as well

  16. Gonk on July 18th, 2014 12:11 pm

    What the fuck does a dad do if he for arguments sake only has….£300 a month to live on inc getting him to work because of csa payments,But he also wants to see his kid who lives 120 miles away.
    WTF does he do Ben? If he spends what little he has getting there, he can’t survive the month. So he is forced to make a choice..but if the mother helped out a little…cut him some slack as they say, and helped him. Then it makes sense.
    Fuck yes…she should help pay his travel cost…

  17. Arron on January 11th, 2018 10:37 pm

    Yes you can get some back

Got something to say?