Daughter living abroad

November 20, 2010

I found out a few months ago that my ex partner was moving to france with her new husband and taking my daughter with her. i found out accidentally and with only 24hrs notice before she was to leave the country, i was unable to contact my ex as she had moved from her house but managed to confirm she was moving to france by speaking to her neighbour. i contacted the csa to find out if they had any knowledge of this to which they didnt, they informed me that if this is true then my case will be closed and no further payments will be needed untill my ex actually returned to live in the uk.

I contacted the csa again the following day who in formed me they had spoken to my ex who confirmed she was moving permanently to france and that the case will be passed on to be closed and that i should hear from them shortly regarding this. a month passed and a payment to the csa went directly out of my wages as usual so i contacted them, they then steted that the case is still waiting to be closed and they will be in contact shortly.

After a further 2 weeks of no contact i called them again, they then stated they have had trouble contacting my ex (obviously as she is no longer in the country) and that they need to in order to close the case, I gave them all possible information for her including mothers address and tel, the neighbour i contacted address and tel in order for them to confirm what i was saying was true (dispite the fact they had already heard it from my ex herself), they said they need to investigate anfd will be in contact shortly. so once again time passes by and yet again i hear nothing, i ring and get fobbed off with investigation in progress, do i have a contact number or address in france (which i dont as she absconded without telling me) and that they need to investigate more. needless to say months have now passed and i called them again to see what was going on now. so they ask the same questions yet again, i ask them have they called her mother to confirm and they state that they cant contact her, its illegal to, they told me that they cannot prove that my ex has left the country.

Despite the fact she told them she was months ago, as they cant get in contact with her, i told them that they cant prove shes in the country either and that what am i suppose to do. I’m sorry but i’m not a dead beat dad i have been paying for my daughter for years and think its unfair that i should continue to when i cant see her and she no longer lives in this country. This is absolutely ludicrous, the csa have a stupid amount of powers to chase down and make nrps pay but when it swings the other way they claim to have no powers at all. So seriously what am i suppose to do.


15 Responses to “Daughter living abroad”

  1. Brokenfather on November 20th, 2010 1:13 pm

    Why didn’t you do something to stop your daughter being taken to live in France?

  2. Jem Pogue on November 20th, 2010 4:39 pm

    Same happened to me it took me 6 years to get my case closed after my ex stole my children and moved them to South Africa…………………….Then 2 WEEKS later they threatened me with enforcement if i didn't give them my details so they could make an order for maintenance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Welcome to the land of incompetent dribbling lobotomised child abuse agency !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. Peter Anderson on November 20th, 2010 5:24 pm

    Did you write to them notifying them that she had left the country? Why do you continue to pay? If it's a DEO then just go down your local Magistrates Court and ask for it to be set aside and make a claim for the money you've paid since she left to be returned. This amounts to THEFT. There just lining their own pockets as one Csa official is getting paid commission for the money he/she is collecting from you. And, get down your MP and tell him/her what's going on.

  4. Richard Murray on November 20th, 2010 5:47 pm

    obviously if they are still taking you money they should no were its going or at least they have the power to see were it is drawn , the trouble is these incompetent bastards are not interested in investigating for the NRP'S rights , It's all about income figures and there own bonuses

  5. Jem Pogue on November 20th, 2010 5:49 pm

    Under the data protction act they can't tell you where it's going !!!!!!!That's what they tried with me until i got everyone i could involved 🙂

  6. Richard Murray on November 20th, 2010 5:54 pm

    True Jem ,, but if they know it's France then case closed ,But we all know they will not investigate while there getting his money

  7. Jem Pogue on November 20th, 2010 6:31 pm

    Exactly they only care about there bonus !

  8. Sylvia Dunai on November 20th, 2010 8:27 pm

    CSA said to me if the PWC moves abroad, he/she CAN continue getting child support as many many countries have agreements on this!

  9. Allan Morrell on November 21st, 2010 1:36 am

    probably bull….. it cant happen in southern Ireland I beleive tho…. however… there are countries in agreement according to their paperwork… nedds lookin in2

  10. rupi josh on March 3rd, 2011 5:59 am

    I’ve ample experience of this, as has my husband who is a professional Mackenzie friend specialising in finance and leave to remove.

    No the CSA has no jurisdiction. If a child moves abroad, REMO applies (i.e. your ex can apply to french court if child maintenance has been agreed by consent or imposed – both by court order in the UK – and you have refused to pay.

    The only way she can get this is if the leave to remove was consented to or authorised by court – If you had PR for your daughter, you had to consent to removal. Otherwise, it was down to the courts to give permission. Failing all that, it is unlaweful removal (abduction).

    Tell the CSA to go to hell. They have no jurisdiction. If they argue, ask for evidence of the legislation and tgo cite the specific part that allows them to take money by DOE or DD without your consent under the circumstances. They will back down.

    I can be contacted on [email protected] if you need help

  11. Jennie on March 27th, 2012 6:21 pm

    Hope someone can help me. I’ve a question but unsure where to post it. My ex and I split up in 1996 (he left and never contacted his twins who were born in 1992). The CSA pursued him and eventually caught up with him in 2007 whereby he owed mega amounts of money. Because of the errors the CSA made, from the public purse I was given what they called an advance payment of maintenance and from 2007 payments were spasmodically received. However, the CSA are now saying that because I moved my children to France between 2006 and 2009 he wasn’t required to pay CSA and therefore I now owe the money back to them. The thing is, I was still receiving child benefit and it wasn’t a secret I was living in France. I was not in contact with my ex; he did not have parental responsibility and now, although back in the U.K I have been long term sick and receiving ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) so am obviously very worried. At the end of the day, they are still his children and I was still paying to feed and clothe them so why, because i’ve temporarily moved to France, do I lose my right to child support from the absent parent????? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

  12. labane on June 6th, 2012 6:28 am

    salut je vis aller a la france cette semain pour ma petite fille qu’ell a un aplasie medullaire besoun d’un traitement ou une greffe de moelle osseuse alor je connais personn la bas et je besoin d’une association qui peut m’aide mon telefone en algerie 00213771098290

  13. becki on August 5th, 2013 9:46 pm

    Just a thought, if you didnt sign to say your ex could take the child abroad to live this is classed as abduction by the ex! She/he can be arrested for this I moved abroad 2years ago and I had to get consent for both my older children and 1 had never even met his dad and I still had to get concent from him also! So look down this route sure she’ll be happy to give details then!

  14. CSAnonsense on December 17th, 2015 2:03 pm

    I appreciate this thread is a couple of years old but I have experienced my child being taking to France against my wishes and not knowing their whereabouts and thought I should relay my experience.

    Prior to my ex leaving had around 40% care of my child. The CSA simply stated that if my ex is entitled to Child Benefit then CSA also applies. When the Child Benefit stops the CSA stops. Child Benefit is payable for a period of 1 year in the event of the resident parent and child moving abroad within the EU. I spoke to the Ministry of Justice about this and they stated the jurisdiction argument earlier in the thread but were wrong, jurisdiction of the resident parent is of no relevance to the CSA when collecting from a non-resident parent in the UK. This was confirmed by a family law barrister.

    I did go to the High Court and gained access. The CSA kindly removed my 104 days overnight stay reduction when they found out I didn’t know where my ex and child were living. Also cost of travel outside of the UK and overnight stays in a hotel in France with my child when visiting did not count.

    My child was born pre-December 2003 so I had no PR which basically meant pretty much no rights at all and it was perfectly legal to emigrate without consulting me. Those with children born after 2003 will not experience this particular issue.

    You can apply for a family law case to remain under the jurisdiction of the UK even when an ex has left the UK (if within the EU) under the Brussels II regulation.

    All got sorted out for me, my child in UK, regular contact etc. Good luck anyone who has a similar problem.

  15. Nadeem Ishaq on May 13th, 2018 6:11 pm

    My ex wife took my two daughters abroad 2 years ago and now has returned I used to pay her a agreed amount about before she left and has she got remarried and stop talking to me I decided not to pay the money anymore because I wasn’t sure where the money was going as she was not in this country. But in the two years my daughter’s were abroad I spent money on their holiday, I’ve gone out there to see them and spend money on them sent them gifts but now she has come back and I’m unsure as she’s not talking to me if I should carry on paying the agreed amount that we did before. I have set up an account for my daughters to receive pocket money on a monthly basis and now as they’re back in London I see them every other week and which I take them out. please can anyone advise me on this.

Got something to say?