How can I manage now my baby has been born?

November 26, 2012

I have a baby girl with my ex. She is 3 months old now. The minute she was born my ex just turned around and said he wanted nothing to do with me or the baby. His words were to never contact him again. He has never given me a penny towards her upkeep, even when I was pregnant, he kept promising to buy things but he never did. Everything she has I bought myself.

Two weeks after she was born I applied to the CSA. I found myself calling them up to get an update on my case as they never bothered to keep me updated. As my ex is self employed, it is easy for him to hide money and I believe that is what he has done. He works offshore earning more than £500 a day. He’s also doing a phd part time but has claimed to be a full time student. The CSA has assessed him at nil payment as they believe his story of being a f/t student. I have asked them to investigate because he goes offshore for jobs that last sometimes 2 months. How can a f/t student afford to go away from his course for 2 months at a time?

I am on maternity leave now earning less than £800 / month. How am I supposed to manage to pay my mortgage, bills and buy what I need for my baby? So what it means is that men can go around getting people pregnant then go and enrol for a course at university. What if I am also a f/t student, then who pays for the baby? I feel I am being punished for having a baby while he is being rewarded. It’s very unfair. Please what can I do because I need help badly for my little girl.


  • chall says:


    You could apply for a variation, as you wish for ‘Income not taken into account’ to be considered – a variation will only take a NRP’s net income over £100 into consideration. Give the CSA as much info as possible.

    Also, the link below will take you to the benefits calculator, where you can enter your details and see if you qualify for any other help.

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  • >