Told the CSA my son is working, still they want money from me

November 17, 2012

I contacted you last week regarding my son who I pay maintenance for has got a job which you were going to investigate and contact my ex wife to confirm. You had tried to do this on a number of occasions. You advised that a case worker would do this and get back to me however I have had.

No communication regarding this as yet from you.

As you are aware from my notes I have advised you that my son does not go to college and I understand he is still in receipt of child benefit and he has started work but still I have to pay csa money or have had no confirmation from you regarding the case been closed, other than as there is an extension on child benefit that the case will be closed on 27th Nov.

I would like to know if you have confirmed he is working as promised.


3 Responses to “Told the CSA my son is working, still they want money from me”

  1. wilf on November 17th, 2012 6:50 pm

    Your case will be closed aligned to date child benefit ceases to be paid to the parent with care and you will receive a letter confirming the closure date.
    This action can take up to 3 months to complete. If you pay by deduction from income call the CSA after 27/11/2012 and ask them to cease paying the PWC so that over payments do not accrue.

  2. chall on November 18th, 2012 9:16 am


    You would need to contact the CSA directly, to get a definite reply on your case.

    You can take a look at the following link, re child benefit.

    It states; “Child starts work
    You must tell the Child Benefit Office if your child starts paid work for 24 hours a week or more after the age of 16. Your payments will normally stop from the Monday after your child starts work.
    But if your child also stays in education or training that counts for Child Benefit, your payments may continue. It doesn’t matter how many hours they work. Your child will need to have started, enrolled or been accepted for a course that counts for Child Benefit before the age of 19.”

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  3. Alice on November 19th, 2012 11:11 pm

    If you believe that child benefit is being paid and your son no longer qualifies then you need to contact the Child Benefit office and report a fraudulent claim – they will then investigate this and if proved that your ex is no longer eligible they will stop the CB – at this point the CSA can close the case. The CSA can request confirmation of CB status so you need to contact them to request this as soon as you become aware that it has ceased.

Got something to say?