Should the payments go directly to my sons?

December 5, 2013

I have twin boys who are 18 they are in college and are going to university next year . I have nothing legal set in place but it is my intention to pay maintenance until they finish university , I have a good relationship with their mother whom they live with , my question is when should the payments start directly to the boys rather than their mother it doesn’t matter to me but legally who do I have to pay and when from .


4 Responses to “Should the payments go directly to my sons?”

  1. jo on December 5th, 2013 12:37 pm

    When they start uni you can give it to them directly. By the age of 18 they are adults and no longer qualify for child maintenance, law states this as they are out of further education doing advanced education.

    Hope that helps.

  2. Becky KJ Mummywright on December 5th, 2013 12:47 pm

    if they do not live with their mum live on a uni site-housing ect then u do not need to pay no more and if u wanna send ur boy money u can . but if they still live at her then it still go to her she need to give it to them .

  3. Ellie Sellars on December 5th, 2013 10:50 pm

    I would say that as they are 18 the money should go to them 1ce they start uni. I’m assuming they will be in student accomodation so the money will help with living expenses. Discuss with your ex wife though if you have a good relationship 🙂

  4. Christina Shields on December 11th, 2013 2:02 pm

    Good on you ! If I was in your exes position I wouldn’t have a problem with the money going directly to my children even if they were living with me. As for the legal stance no idea – sorry !

Got something to say?