Should I pay CSA when I receive JSA?

July 13, 2012

Although I have access to my son overnight every wednesday and every second weekend, they’re still taking money off my JSA.

I don’t recieve any other money, and am having to pass up a chance to have him this weekend as my gas is off and I don’t have money for it. I provide nappies, food and clothes for him. Should I be paying, and does anyone know of any other benefits I could be claiming?

My ex-wife didin’t contact them, this came out the blue a few weeks ago I got a letter saying they were taking £5 a week from my already paltry £67 a week.


5 Responses to “Should I pay CSA when I receive JSA?”

  1. Alice on July 13th, 2012 3:06 pm

    Unfortunatly the CSA can take the £5.00 a week from your JSA.Your ex wife (PWC) will be getting benefits for your child i.e child benefit,child tax and maybe other benefits that she would be entitled to,therefore I would say dont buy the nappies,clothes and food because she is getting the money for them from her benefits.If you were in work I wouldn’t state this but you are claiming JSA and you oviously cannot afford to do this.The fact that you are in your childs life is rewarding enough,go your local CAB or make an appointment at your jobcenter and see what other benefits you could be claiming.When you get back into work then if you wish to help your childs mother you will be able to do so.

  2. chall on July 14th, 2012 10:37 am


    If you are in receipt of JSA, have no other income the CSA can use to make a calculation and you have your child 52 nights or more per year, your CSA should be reduced to nothing.

    chall ~ afairercsaforall

  3. Daniel on July 17th, 2012 9:54 am


    have you told them that you have shared care (the child stays with your overnight)? If you haven’t do so, because then the £5 a week liability will go to a nil rate. However, its not always that easy, it depends if your ex-partner agrees you have them. It’s an absolute nightmare if she disagrees because they unless you can prove otherwise legislation forces them to go with the PWC. A way around this is to provide what is called “best available evidence” this is difficult I know but if you can get her to sign to say you’ve had the children they should hopefully go on the evidence you provide.

    You do have to provide nappies, food etc for him while he’s staying with you because that’s why they reduce your liability, its recognising you have the extra cost of looking after the child when he comes and stays with you. I know that will be difficult for you on your income, and £5 won’t pay for all those things, but its applied uniformly across the board.

    I hope this helps, feel free to ask if you need anything else clarifying.

  4. Marc Hollis on January 21st, 2018 10:49 pm

    My concern is that while l am on JSA, will the difference in what l can afford to pay and what the government states l must pay when l am in employment be then added as a debt that l will have to repay once l gain employment again?

  5. Jason Tapp on July 12th, 2018 5:09 pm

    I have got no work and have had to apply for jsa I owe maintenance to my ex wife and have no way of paying it what can I do

Got something to say?