CSA made a mistake which cost me dearly

February 10, 2013

The CSA placed an ‘Attachment to Earnings’ on my salary by mistake, a computer generated letter that should not have been actioned. Almost £1500 was taken from my salary in December 2012.

I was informed by the CSA that they would cancel the AtE immediately.

A similar payment was taken out in January 2013.

The ‘overpayment’ of £1500 was in addition to the Child Maintenace I pay by standing order, a total amount ~£2,300.

Trying to recoup the ‘overpayment’ has been a nightmare. I have spoken to seven personnel at the CSA, all have a different story. I have been advised that it will take three months to repay me, by means of reducing my monthly child maintenance.

The AtE is still in place, my employer informed me of this today. The CSA twice told me that they have removed it, but this evening they confirmed it was still in place but they would endeavour to remove it.

If the CSA were a business they would have been put into Administartion years ago. Incompetence beyond belief.


16 Responses to “CSA made a mistake which cost me dearly”

  1. CSAhell.com on February 10th, 2013 11:48 pm

    Disgraceful. The CSA has so much power yet they’re so incompetent.

  2. KMcQ80 on February 11th, 2013 8:04 am

    PLEASE go to the media with this story.
    This is not uncommon and will help others in the same situation.

  3. CSAhell.com on February 11th, 2013 7:02 pm

    CSAhell.com liked this on Facebook.

  4. j on February 11th, 2013 7:20 pm


    Sorry about your situation.

    Here is some general advice –

    ‘This isnt the csa its an open forum so don’t give names/details etc especially of children. (your own name can be used to identify the kids, and your case)

    Don’t deal with the csa by phone, everything in writing, sent recorded, keep the receipts.

    Copy your MP into everything and try and get them involved as your advocate.
    Make a formal complaint about any decision you are unhappy with from the outset as time limits are involved. Always go for an appeal tribunal asap following the internal process.

    Get a copy of your Data Protection prints from the outset so you know what you are dealing with, again follow the correct procedure in wording your request to get ALL information, send it to the right department, send the correct fee.

    Don’t be afraid to complain about any csa staff, or their superiors if you feel you have just cause.

    Remember the process, internal complaint, ‘independent’ case examiner (the csa protection department), appeals tribunal, parliamentary and health service ombudsman through your mp for maladministration.’

    There are a couple of sites you can also look at –

    © ChildSupportLaws – general info.

    http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8006 – not sure it will help but worth a look.

    http://www.deadbeatdadsassociation.co.uk – they don’t help you if you are getting advice elswhere.

    http://www.nacsa.co.uk/page/contact_us.html – I’ve heard of them and they get a good review but cost money. (£30pm I think)

    Read the various threads on here eg ‘Court ruling leaves child maintenance authority ‘emasculated’ – ‘November 1, 2012′

    Family Law website.

    You may pick up some useful info.

    Finally a specialist csa solicitor may be worth talking to but can be expensive and usually end up putting you in touch with a specialist barrister. Still worth an initial interview though but to reduce costs you can use a ‘direct access’ barrister (find through internet) and save on solicitor costs.

    Good luck.

  5. Lisa on February 11th, 2013 10:12 pm

    OMG CSA strike again, they have no morals, disgraceful behaviour by people who only care about the government having yet more money in the bank

  6. John on February 12th, 2013 10:00 am

    I got stitched up with £6,400 worth of CSA debt because these morons botched my case up. They put a DEO on my income, and have stolen £280 per month since 2009.

    Word of warning! Don’t trust the complaints system or your M.P. my complaints were investigated by the ICE, and I asked my M.P to forward it to the PHSO (ombudsman). They ALL involved themselves in corruption and collusion to deny me any justice.

    Huge embarrasment, profoundt and unecessary stress. Wilful maladminsitration. Not my words the words of my M.P., who later chose to wash his hands of my complaints, hiding behind Parliamentary protocol.

    I am biding my time, having gathered sufficient evidence to prove repeated incompetence and maladministration, in the hope of a class action, whereby i will take this lot to the cleaners, as they have done to me!

  7. j on February 12th, 2013 11:05 am

    Hi John

    Sorry but you might be waiting sometime. To the best of my knowledge we don’t have a ‘class action’ style system in the UK, its an american legal process.

    I fully agre with you about the whole system being ‘skewed’ in favour of maintaining the status quo, there is too much at stake, stealth tax being collected, jobs being created, votes ‘bought’ for the MP’s that protect the csa etc?

    I still think we should all name and shame those MP’s who have done nothing to help us. In my case I’ve been let down by labour and libdem so far… I say so far as the tories have yet to respond but as its them in charge at the moment it kind of means that none of them will get my vote next time around.

    Somewhere in whitehall there is a ‘civil’ servant (related to mussolini?) who thinks up scams like the csa which currently employ about 7500 full time staff for the DWP. They dont care how many people are affected or how much it costs, its not their money that funds it (its ours) and they dont need our votes (politicians do) so maybe if we started putting the politicians in the spotlight they would do something about the civil servants in whithall???

    Take a look at Family Law Week for further info on cases that have beaten the csa to see how it can be done.

    By the way, ECHR have a website and if like me you are poor its not too expensive, everyone can have access to justice you know.

    Good luck

  8. John on February 12th, 2013 4:03 pm

    Hi! J.

    I know what you mean, they put so many obstacles in the way, and that impacts upon any course of action that an aggrieved person can take against them.

    Briefly. The CSA have shown repeated incompetence with my cases as a pwc and an nrp. Initially, my M.P.was helpful, and I felt that at last, I was building a case against them, especially because my case was investigated by the PHSO (ombudsman). However, in the end they all displayed corruption and collusion, and whitewashed my complaints. My M.P. used the phrase ” parliamentary protocol prevents me from interferring further in your case”.and therefore washed his hands of my complaints, and refuses to see me. We have a great democracy don’t we?

    I completed a complaints form for the ECHR, informing them that my legal challenge on the basis of Human rights could not even be heard in this country, because of CSA/Government corruption. I asked them to pay my legal fees for my case to be heard in the ECHR. They said that they couldn’t, as it has to be tested in the UK courts first. So, I am going round in circles without any redress whatsoever.

    I would make it clear that I have no problem in wanting to provide finances for our children (one left in system), what I do object to is being demonised and criminalised by this ‘not fit for purpose’ shambles, with these people interfering in my private famiy life, and who are protecting the pwc, and her fraudulent claims for benefits. She has been caught twice and let off.

    Trying my best to make my point, that in my experience (13 years of this lot), the whole sysem is shambolic, unfair, discriminatory and must breach some form of human rights, and yet ECHR and others don’t want to know.

    Others, who commit serious criminal offences in this country, somehow, get to use top lawyers, to go through our court system to the high courts/supreme court and win or delay rulings on the cases by appealing. why is this? when we cannot get off first base?

  9. Sally on February 12th, 2013 4:46 pm

    Hi John

    How on earth are you supposed to be heard/tested in this country when you have an MP telling you that “parliamentary protocol prevents me from interfering further in your case”…. that is absolutely shocking!!!

    Our Government and the CSA disgust me beyond belief… I have only had 3 years with them (my partner is NRP) and we have resorted to their tactics “if you can’t beat them, join them”… they say what they do is ‘legal’, so we have followed their ‘rules’ and now my everything is in my name, my partner plans to go back to college so that he will only have to pay his ex the absolute minimum. We have both been gobsmacked at the stupidity of the CSA staff, the mistakes they have been allowed to get away with and the whole PWC is right NO MATTER WHAT attitude!

    Instead of my partner paying his ex almost £300 each month plus all the usual clothes, school trips, pocket money… he will be able to spend all the money on the kids… from my account – a gift from me to them 🙂 (as far as the CSA is concerned)

    I have never claimed benefits or cheated ‘the system’, i’ve worked hard for almost 20 years (like most of you) and i’m not going to let the CSA take it away from me, my partner or the kids (their ‘right’ to force sale on a home to satisfy CSA ‘debts’!!!!),…

    I honestly, I don’t know how you, j. Carol and many others have managed to stay sane through all of your troubles with the CSA…. My hat goes off to yous…. I’m struggling after 3!!

  10. CSAhell.com on February 12th, 2013 7:02 pm

    CSAhell.com liked this on Facebook.

  11. Alice on February 12th, 2013 7:26 pm

    Steve – firstly you need to ask the agency to change the MOC (method of collection) on the system – this will automatically issued a DEO termination to your employer. It would also prompt the system to produce a new schedule (this will require a case officer to complete the task) and a new collection schedule will be sent out to you, this will state how you are supposed to pay.
    The case officer should also contact your employer by phone to advise that the DEO is cancelled and no further payments should be taken from your wages – some employers will not take this instruction verbally and will insist on a written instruction, the case officer can fax a copy to your employer if the payroll office provide them with a fax number – they will also receive a copy by post.

    In respect of the money deducted in January do you know if your employer has paid the money to the agency? If they have not paid it would they refund it to you if the CSA confirm that the DEO should have been cancelled? Some employers will, others refuse. If not you need to ask the agency to put a hold on the payment by completing a MANUAL ALLOCATION TASK on the case – this means that when the money is received by the agency the system will not pay it out to the PWC, the agency can then refund the money to you.

    I am assuming that the payment taken in December has already been paid out to the PWC and as such a manual allocation task would not be possible for this.

  12. Craig on February 13th, 2013 4:22 pm


    Make an official complaint here are some instructions for you to use, believe me this works. http://www.facebook.com/notes/child-support-agency-corruption/what-steps-to-take/386972484732475

  13. lisa on February 13th, 2013 4:30 pm

    I really hope this DEO comes off your wage, fuckin bloody sucking CSA really get my goat, making a proper complaint and getting your MP involved should sort this for the best, dont let them bully you, they have done this to many times, and you want a fullr efund of any monies taken illegally,

  14. CSAhell.com on February 14th, 2013 7:02 pm

    CSAhell.com liked this on Facebook.

  15. carol on February 14th, 2013 7:50 pm

    ……what else can one say…..just hope this corrupt, unfair, unjust ‘system’ is dismantled soon. Some woman took the DWP, regarding the Work Program and being sanctioned to court, and won her case (go on girl!), because the work program and sanctioning is illegal. Yet the DWP in their arrogance, say they are still going to continue in their ways, and keep on sending people to slave for benefits, and sanctioning the poorest in society, if they refuse (even though you have a right by law to refuse)

    Sound like the CSA and their attitude much?

    Thats because theyre just different rats in the same sewer.

  16. carol on February 14th, 2013 8:07 pm

    and Sally, Im not sane…Im hopeless tbh (as Im sure we all all including yourself on here). Cannot meet my bills on my sad boring frugal life. CSA dont count rent and coal and a car to get me from my house to work, as essentials. Life on the dole putting up with fat moonface drone behind jobcentre desk speaking to me like Im scum. The others are great, but still…Id rather be caring for others full time than limited hours (thanks CSA)

    Might speak to my solicitor, go to see a judge and see if anything can be done

    Im sure none of us want to have to get creative ie going self employed, divorcing a current wife and getting her to claim csa to reduce payments to ex in order to cope financially, or only working a set amount to keep within ranges.

    Id be scared to work full time even if I was getting paid decent wage and could afford to pay maintenance and work and pay living costs. Wouldnt know when they suddenly decided there were arrears that need paying and a DEO getting slapped on me taking 40%. Er, no.

    20% – 40% tax for some and THEN the CSA’s percentage cut., 15%, 20%sometimes at 40% DEO, sometimes more for some, ontop of that…..and this is legal?

    Imagine if anyone else in Big Daves Big Society got taken out like that? I wonder if anyone would take action seeing as no one is allowed to protest without being trampled by horses, or gunned with dangerous pressure water canons?

Got something to say?